Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bakery Sugar Cookies

Living in the tropics, I gave up on making sugar cookies. By the time I got the chilled dough rolled out, it was already a soft disaster. So needless to say, I was very excited about being able to do cut out cookies with Darling Little Redhead(DLR) this year!


Just a little quality assurance goin' on here!

DLR only decorates cookies "Mountain Style". If you'd like to try it, simply pile up sprinkles carefully and painstakingly until you have a mountain. Additionally, please assure that very little, if any, frosting shows through your decorations. :)

My Mom used to work at the local bakery when I was a girl. Unfortunately, the bakery has been replaced by a Subway. Love Subway, miss the nostalgia of the town bakery (although I hear a group of men still gathers to drink coffee there in the mornings...gotta love small towns). But I digress.

One of the hardworking ladies who ran the bakery is a dear family friend. She used to let my sisters and I sneak to the back and help sometimes (hey, maybe that's where my love of baking began?). She shared the recipe with me as part of our wedding gift. It's tooooo-licious (as my nephew would say)!

Bakery Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
1 C. Margarine (softened)
1 Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cream of Tarter
Mix. Chill. Roll out and cut. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Yield 2-3 dozen cookies.

8 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love your "mountain style" cookies...that is so funny! My daughter would prefer, um, something like "frozen pond style" because she would prefer to lick the frosting off the cookie before it hardens! :)
Carrie

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Your recipe made me realize that I need to add cream of tartar to my U.S. Walmart list!  haha...I don't know why they don't sell it here...I looked at the local Walmart, but no go...and if they don't have it there, they aren't likely to have it elsewhere.  Weird.  I am going to attempt some cookie baking and decorating next week with the kids...I still need to get the fixings...and I need a lot of patience, too!!  :)  But I think it's a tradition worth pursing just because it means so much to them...memories made for a lifetime.  I still remember all the baking we did with my Mom! 

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I love these...always good! We made easy reindeer cookies a few days ago (phot on blog) and we had a blast! Merry Christmas!

Glitter & Bliss said...

Looks soooo yummy. Mountain style would be perfect around my home. Your recipe looks so easy, for someone like me who really doesn't bake. Thanks!!! Merry Christmas!!

jennykate77 said...

Awe, DLR is...well, darling! Those sugar cookies sound delish. I'll have to write that one down. I LOVE sugar cookies. I think I would like the "mountain style" frosting too☺

Hope you had a great weekend!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I just got your sweet comment. You can use your crystals so many places....Christmas tree ornaments, to embellish a lamp, jewelry....the possiblities are endless. The antique crystals are the best!!! Merry Christmas!! Hugs..Leslie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. My grandma didn't have a bakery, but she made wedding cakes. My mom and aunt's were the first and mine was the last with too many to count in between. Her cakes and frosting tasted the best and I loved going to her house and decorating graham crackers with the leftover frosting. Thanks for bringing back such a memory.
By the way we are planning on making some cookies Wednesday. Luckily my mom sent some cream of tarter from home.
BECKY

The Stew Fam said...

Shilo...I want to try the cookies...but maybe I'll wait till I am state-side...ha ha!!! We are going to give our annual funky gingerbread house a go down here, we'll see what happens:) Love ya

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails