Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nuestro Refugio en Paraguay

Welcome to My Place of Peace, now broadcasting from our new HOME in Paraguay! So glad you're here!

My vision for our home here was "Farmhouse Revival" and I repurposed lots of beautiful salvage from this barn. So much, in fact, that my husband was overheard muttering, "You don't have to repurpose everything in the barn, dear".

The view from my kitchen window

Beautiful light filters into our bedroom when the shutters are open. Yes, we actually have functioning shutters!

This project cost less than $1 for supplies but delivers major impact

Quite possibly my favorite piece of art ever

The laundry room was really dark because the ceiling is very low so we lightened it up with a few coats of paint.

I have always really enjoyed laundry, but never so much as now! It's wonderful to have a beautiful space, especially I spend a lot of time in the laundry room! :)

These plates have been from the US, to Venezuela, back to the US and now to Paraguay. So pretty.

The kitchen has very little counter space (or storage for that matter), so we changed this freestanding cabinet into an island. Lots of thanks to honey for going forward with the project even though he was skeptical!

I think she turned out beautiful, don't you? The extra counter space is a life saver and honey wired the island with 110 so I can run my kitchen aid too!

Ode to a math teacher (and all his patience as he painted, fixed and hung pictures!). Love you, honey!

I fell in love with this dining room table, but didn't think we would be able to get it. Honey surprised me on our anniversary with the news we could! It seats 10 easily. Come on down for a home cooked meal!

Special thanks to my friend Jen for coming to the rescue with a fabric that would make my brown and yellow swirl tile look good! :)

Bathroom Before. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. :)

And after. Much better! Guess where the old bicycle basket in the window came from? :)

Thanks so much for coming on a little tour of our new home. Even though it is a one year rental, it's so important to be surrounded by beauty and feel at home! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think! :)

24 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

I LOVE it! Such an exciting house and beautiful place to live! And I'm giving you a standing ovation for painting that ceiling white, it looks marvelous!
Hugs,
Liz

emily freeman said...

Wow Shilo! Thanks for sending me over. That view of the barn is just lovely. And that art work...I think its my favorite too! Way to go painting those laundry room ceilings white. I bet your arms hurt after that. I hope you feel at home in your new space. I know I would!

Melissa Stover said...

love the beautiful details!

The Nester said...

completely charming and rustic--just the way I like it! Thanks for sharing girl!

Unknown said...

I could feel a peace come over me as I toured your home. Just beautiful and peaceful! Thank you for sharing and I do love that art work with the plates...yes indeed!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your new home is just lovely!! And I can't believe all that you've accomplished in such a short time! Wow!! Each room definitely has that farmhouse style & looks so welcoming and warm! I know that putting your personal touches in your new place will help you feel a bit more adjusted. Hope you enjoy it, it looks beautiful :)!
Blessings,
Stacey

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Very, very nice!

Jen said...

Girl, You are amazing! I can't believe the transformation. The bedroom is beautiful. I love the wood with the plates on it. And your laundry room is now much lovelier than ours :-). The bathroom is darling, and I'm so glad that the fabric matched in the kitchen. I'm so happy for you! It looks like a wonderful new home. Praying that it starts to really FEEL like home!

Tarah Dunscomb said...

I decided that since I love following your blog, I should do a better job of letting you know! I am so pleased to see your creativity shine through in your new home. It looks very beautiful. Nice work.

Love you and thinking of you often,
Tarah

Betty W said...

Like I said in fb...I LOVE it! You did good! Some people would feel sorry for themselves that they have to live in an old house, but you make the best of it. Looks great!

Brenda said...

You have done an amazing job on your house, I know what they look like before you do all that work. I hope that having such a beautiful place to live brings you a lot of happiness!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I love it! I looks so beautiful and homey! I love plates as art too! You really did a fabulous job and your husband too - those repurposed cabinets as an island is a great idea!

Manuela

Belinda Chaplin said...

it looks fantastic and worth the effort! I love the details and the artwork from nothing... great job!

Glitter & Bliss said...

Oh my goodness.... I love it!!! What a beautiful and peaceful place to call home. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. It is always such a blessing to me to hear from you. I did not post about it... probably will...but I have been having several tests done in the fear that I could have breast cancer. I finally found out today that I am OK... More test in 6 mo. What a blessing and relief... Hugs to you... Leslie

Tim and Susan said...

It DOES look beautiful. I can totally understand and relate to making your house (even when it's a rental for a year) look comfy, bright and homey!!

It looks great. What a wonderful mama and wife you are to make such a nice home for your dear family. I am sure they love it.

Jana said...

Everything looks great, Shilo! You did a great job making your new house a home for your family!

the Chacogirl said...

Hi Shilo, thanks for stopping at my blog. Love your blog, it really is peaceful. Your house is coming along so perfectly and I am honored to have played a little part in it. You got me searching for the perfect fabric for my bedroom curtains. See you around! Brenda

Norberto Kurrle said...

I am so amazed at your makeover. You have a definite gift! I think the plates add a beautiful touch on the wall- great way to recycle! Doesn't it feel great to make a house a home. Now that we're both in the same country, hopefully you can come visit us sometime when you're in the south end ;)and give me some tips on my house...seriously!

Sam and Dawn Wills said...

You are amazing!! God has given you many wonderful talents and one is to make any place beautiful- whether it's through elbow grease and repurposed treasures or just your presence!! Simply beautiful! Miss you dear friend!

jennykate77 said...

The house looks so BEAUTIFUL! I love all of your re-purposing and salvaging! I just can't say enough how MUCH I love it! It really does look like a 'place of peace'. I'm glad to know that you all are doing so well. I'm also really glad to know that your package made it there! :) (YAY, I successfully sent a package to Paraguay!)

Hope you're having a wonderful week!

have a lovely said...

everything looks wonderful! i love the turq. piece in your room...and your new table...mega points for the hubby!!! ;) i hope those pretty walls of your house are feeling more and more like a home!

Candy said...

Wonderful to see your beautiful home, Shilo! I enjoyed it!!!

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog today to see if there were any pictures of what your home looked like-- I was so excited to find this post! Lovely pictures. Such a beautiful home. Thank you for sharing. :D

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails